[OTR-users] miranda / gaim compatibility

Ian Goldberg ian at cypherpunks.ca
Thu Jul 20 21:53:08 EDT 2006

On Thu, Jul 20, 2006 at 06:12:40PM -0600, Jonathan Larsen wrote:
> I use Miranda and a friend of mine uses gaim.  We both are using AOL to chat
> with each other.
>
> Tried using OTR for secure messaging and when ever my friend sends me a msg
> through GAIM it sends it in HTML format.
>
> Any ideas?

Well, the AOL messaging format *is* HTML (or something a lot like it).
I seem to remember that, even when OTR isn't involved at all, if a gaim
(or any other AIM client) sends things like bold or italics to a miranda
user, the miranda user will see the HTML markup (indicating a bug in
miranda).  If my memory is in fact correct, that would probably explain
what you're seeing.

Are you using the miranda plugin, or otrproxy?