[OTR-users] some questions

Ian Goldberg ian at cypherpunks.ca
Fri Dec 29 19:47:54 EST 2006

On Sat, Dec 30, 2006 at 12:12:37AM +0100, readytogo2 wrote:
> Ian Goldberg wrote:
> >> True, but if there is no offical statement from otr developers yet it`s
> >> therefore not suggestable right now?
> >
> > I don't think it's even our place to recommend or contraindicate the use
> > of specific third-party software.  All I can say is that I personally
> > don't use it, and I've never looked at the code.
> Where elese could be a place to recomand or contraindicate? :)

Other users, and possibly the author, would have a more meaningful
opinion than I would, for sure.

> Do you want OTR to be a high compatible system? You want that many
> people use it? Or just that interested people can easy use it?

We want lots of people to use it.  In the best case, they shouldn't even
necessarily be *aware* they're using it (as in Adium X).

> > The proxy runs on Linux, Windows, and OS X.
>
> You mean the aim proxy?

Yes.

> I don`t see for OTR library and toolkit a windows built.

The Windows binaries of the toolkit are bundled with the Windows
applications (otrproxy and gaim-otr).  There are no binary builds of the
library; you get source for that.  (You get source for the toolkit, too,
of course.)

> > jabber + ssl doesn't provide the same security properties as otr; most
> > noticeably, the jabber server can still read (or modify) all of your
> > messages.
> Yes, sure the ssl doesn`t make it uber secure. But as far I can imagine
> this it will make it even harder for someone who tryes to comprimise the
> system.

Unless that someone runs your Jabber server.