[OTR-users] some questions

readytogo2 readytogo2 at freenet.de
Fri Dec 29 09:28:20 EST 2006

(I am sorry Ian Goldberg, you get this e-mail twice because I did make a
mistake and answerd to your e-mailadress instant of the mailinglist.)

Ian Goldberg wrote:
> [...]
Deniability,

> > The Miranda plugin isn't by the same developers as the library, gaim
> > plugin, and the proxy.  I personally have no opinion about that code,
> > since I don't even have a way to try it out.
Well, if you don`t want to try it out it`s ok. But I am sure you *can*
try it. I am everything else but a *nix expert, but I could run miranda
under wine (ubuntu).

> > ?? The gaim plugin has had those features since day 1.  Or am I
> > misunderstanding your question?
>From otr page faq: "
How is this different from the gaim-encryption plugin?
The gaim-encryption plugin provides encryption and authentication, but
not deniability or perfect forward secrecy. If an attacker or a virus
gets access to your machine, all of your past gaim-encryption
conversations are retroactively compromised. Further, since all of the
messages are digitally signed, there is difficult-to-deny proof that you
said what you did: not what we want for a supposedly private conversation!"

That`s why I asked if you are going to add this feature in the future.

> > There's no explicit way to do it at the moment (with the main plugin,
> > anyway), but copying the otr.private_key file around should work.
I think to use the proxy would be the best way for everyone right now?
Is the proxy portable? I also don`t know what is compatible to each
other. :(

> > I've heard of this problem before, even *without* otr.  It seems
> > Trillian uses its own custom markup language instead of html (which all
> > other clients use).  I'm guessing there's a way to fix this, since it
> > certainly can't be the case that all Trillian users see html tags all
> > the time, but you'd have to ask someone who uses Trillian.
Not the Trillian user see html tags, the miranda user does (me). Well,
nvm I don`t get why someone need to use Tril if there are enugh free und
better alternatives.

I tested to chat with my self from Gaim (OTR Plugin) to Miranda (OTR
Plugin), there is almost the same errror. [SIZE=10]..Message..[/SIZE]
Perhaps the Miranda OTR Plugin is broken. Maybe I should use the proxy
instant.