[OTR-users] autoreply messages not encrypted??

Ian Goldberg ian at cypherpunks.ca
Thu Aug 3 08:42:17 EDT 2006

On Thu, Aug 03, 2006 at 04:58:08PM +0800, Weizhe wrote:
> I have downloaded the OTR plugin, as well as the autoreply plugin, on the
> Gaim.sourceforge.net website. When I run the 2 plugins concurrently, I was
> told that the autoreply message was not encrypted. Would anyone have any
> idea as to why this is the case, and if so, can anyone tell me how to
> overcome that and encrypt my autoreply message as well? Thanks for the
> attention.

It's probably not possible without modifying the autoreply plugin.  gaim
has two ways for plugins to send messages: 1) "send this message
directly", 2) "send this message, but pass it through the plugin chain
first".  When you type a message in a conversation window, it uses (2),
so the OTR plugin gets it and encrypts it.  But most plugins themselves
use (1), so OTR never gets a chance to see the message at all.