[OTR-users] OTR-Gaim, behavior with multiple accounts

ben k bean62 at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 10 15:06:00 EDT 2006

Apologies if a) this has been discussed before and I just skimmed over that,
and/or b) if my explanation doesn't provide enough details.

In gaim, I have multiple accounts for the various IM types, such as AIM,
Yahoo, Google Talk (jabber), and MSN messenger.  In many cases, I have the
same person as a contact for each different IM system.  I group my contacts
together in Gaim, with preference to whichever IM system we use most
frequently.  So, my buddies are often collapsed but within a single buddy
list entry is up to 4 "buddies" (the same person on AIM, MSN, Yahoo and
Google, respectively).

Now, sometimes I'll be using yahoo and the person on the other end keeps
having connection problems to Yahoo so we switch to MSN Messenger.  When
this happens, if we already had private communications established through
OTR, the window will display a second OTR button.  The second button is not
private at first, and then tries to establish a private connection for the
second button (related to MSN, in this example).  When this happened, gaim
crashed.  I didn't do a trace or anything, but upon request I could try this
again and provide such a thing.

And, this is such an obscure case (I use this every day and never have any
problems) that it's really not that important.  But, I thought I'd share
this with the group to see if this was something other folks encountered,
and/or if it's something to be dealt with in future releases, or if i should
just not worry about it ;-)

thanks for the great plugin... i make anyone i talk to download it.

-ben