[OTR-users] New gaim-otr and otrproxy ready for beta testing

Alex alex323 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 17:32:34 EDT 2005

Len Sassaman wrote:

>I second that. As you've said, the only truly intuitive "padlock" modes
>are open or closed, and they imply security states rather than privacy
>ones (Broken locks, question marks, etc., all require extra information as
>to their meaning in this context.)
>
>A good icon scheme will convey the status of the protocol state without
>requiring the user to develop a context-specific understanding of
>otherwise meaningless symbols.

How about a "pie chart"? A full pie means that the conversation is
secure and that OTR is active. Anything short of a complete circle would
signify that OTR is not fully active. Each quarter (or fifth) can have a
special meaning as specified by a pop up legend. Each pie piece gets a
different colour. However, we will not fully rely on colour. We would
use the position of the pie piece to determine its meaning. For example,
The top left pie piece could mean that we have sent out an OTR invite.
As the process continues, another pie piece is shown representing the
specific OTR entity that is not functioning.

What do you think?

 - Alex