[OTR-users] generating keys

CLAY SHENTRUP CLAY at BROKENLADDER.COM
Thu Nov 10 16:53:12 EST 2005

> Different accounts have different keys, because people may not want it

to be obvious that accounts X and Y actually belong to the same person.

like i said, i knew you'd have an explanation for this. it would be nice to
be able to turn this feature off though.

You can just put a couple of extra lines on your web page, like this:
> http://r6.ca/russellotr.asc

that presumes one has a web page and that it is trustworthy. suppose the cia
hacked it? not a great place to place trust imo. my solution of just
manually altering the keys file seems to work well, because it doesn't force
multiple voice verifications (phone calls).

> but one thing i just had happen, which was really weird, is that i was
> using
> > an account that already has a key, and a new key was generated,
> obviously
> > foreign to my friend. i closed gaim and removed the new key from the key
> > file, and restarted..and everything worked fine. so why did it just add
> > new key in the first place?! bizarre.
>
> The most probable thing that jumps to mind is that when you edited the
> private keys file by hand, you ended up with an invalid key somewhere (a
> mismatched paren, possibly). When the new key was created, the keys
> file would have been rewritten correctly.

nope. what happened was the resource changed, like a explained in a later
email.

thanks,
clay