[OTR-users] Opinions on proposed "unknown fingerprint" behaviour?

Jason Cohen jcohen07 at brandeis.edu
Fri May 20 10:51:26 EDT 2005

I like the idea of having the "private connection established" dialog
box as an in-conversation message with the abiliity to get the session
id and fingerprint by clicking the OTR Private button. However, I think
there should still be an option to keep the old system in place with
regard to accepting new fingerprints. The system is only secure if the
fingerprint is authenticated out of bounds. Otherwise, you don't know
who you're talking to. I understand that some users might not want to do
this so they should have the option of auto-accepting new keys. I still
think a dialog box should come up asking if you want to accept the
fingerprint so that you can override the automatic choice without
needing to access the known fingerprint list.

I also like getting the "private connection established" dialog box as
it clearly informs methat a private conversation has been started even
if gaim is minimized. Could we have the option of keeping the "private
connection established" dialog box, while setting the default as an
in-conversation message?

Also, I was wondering if gaim-otr 2.0.2 is going to be released on
debian sid. libotr 2.0.2 is already in sid but the newest version of
gaim-otr is 2.0.1 which conflicts with gaim-encryption.

Jason Cohen