[OTR-users] What distros ship with OTR software?

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Thu May 12 08:29:12 EDT 2005

Ian Goldberg <ian at cypherpunks.ca> writes:

> I'm making a list of distros that ship with OTR software.  So far, I've
> got Gentoo, Debian sarge, Debian unstable, Ubuntu Breezy, FreeBSD, and
> NetBSD.

<nit> I think of "distro" as short for "Linux distribution", so I
wouldn't use that word to apply to BSD, but I know what you mean.</>

otr, and gaim-otr, are in NetBSD pkgsrc, but of course not in the base
system.  So "ship with" is true if you include pkgsrc, and it does
make sense to include it, since the base system is (intentionally)
fairly sparse.

pkgsrc can be used on a huge list of operating systems - pretty much
all modern relevant ones.  Sun just donated servers to NetBSD, to run
Solaris and be used to support pkgsrc on Solaris:

  http://www.netbsd.org/Foundation/press/sun-donation.html

So while Solaris probably can't be said to "ship with" pkgsrc, it's a
pretty easy way for Solaris users to get otr (and more importantly
gaim, since gaim is much harder to compile by hand due to sheer number
of dependencies).

--
        Greg Troxel <gdt at ir.bbn.com>