[OTR-users] Re: Ignored Messages

Jed Hassell jedhassell at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 17:35:17 EST 2005

How does OTR detect whether the other client speaks OTR?  This would
be of great help.  Currently I'm trying to figure out how to use the
toc_rvous_propose and toc_rvous_accept methods but there just isn't
enough documentation on these methods to prove worthwhile.  If you
could explain how OTR detects if other clients are capable of
understanding OTR messages, I could work this into my own
implementation and just forget about the ignored messages.
Thanks

On Mon, Mar 28, 2005 at 12:52:14AM -0500, Jed Hassell wrote:
> I'm a student at the University of Georgia and I'm currently working
> on a project for one of my classes which requires me to be able to
> send messages through the AOL network which will be ignored by all
> clients except for the one that I am implementing.  I am assuming that
> there is a way to do this sense programs like gaim and trillian send
> messages back and forth that are ignored by outside clients
> (encryption setup).  Does anyone on this mailing that has any idea how
> to do this.  I am using java 5.0 and am altering the simpleaim program
> found on sourceforge.  Thanks in advance for the help.

OTR doesn't actually do this; rather than sending messages that will be
ignored by clients that don't speak OTR, it first detects whether the
other client speaks OTR, and if so, only then sends the message.  As far
as I understand, Trillian's encryption does the same thing; I don't know
of a way to do what you want.