[OTR-users] Opinions on proposed "unknown fingerprint" behaviour?

Ian Goldberg ian at cypherpunks.ca
Thu Jun 2 10:02:07 EDT 2005

On Thu, Jun 02, 2005 at 03:40:34PM +0200, Aldert J.B.P. Hazenberg wrote:
> I think AdiumX did a good job with the open and closed lock.
> So if shapes are an option how about :
>
> 1. Open lock
> 2. Closed lock
> 3. Closed lock with this check of a checkbox superimposed.

Locks to me suggest "secure", whereas OTR provides "private", which is a
somewhat stronger notion.  (With the pfs, deniability, etc.)  I'd prefer
it to not be so easily confused with things like gaim-encryption.

Also, even in the "lock" world, I think we really don't want to give the
misimpression that people should be happy at 2.  The moods I'd like
people to have (somewhat flippantly):

1. Unhappy
2. Uneasy
3. Comfortable