[OTR-users] Opinions on proposed "unknown fingerprint" behaviour?

Aldert J.B.P. Hazenberg aldert at rotz.org
Wed Jun 1 17:14:47 EDT 2005

Jason Cohen wrote:
> Aldert J.B.P. Hazenberg wrote:
>

>>Ian Goldberg wrote:
>>

>>>Based on some comments here, how about this as a second strawman
>>>proposal:
>>>
>>>Instead of two modes (Private / Not private), there are now three:
>>>
>>>1. Not private (red)
>>>2. Unverified (yellow)
>>>3. Private (green)
>>>
>>>[I'm not sure I like the actual choice of words here; suggestions are of
>>>course welcome.]
>>>

>>The wording as stated above is exactly what I have 'difficulties' with.
>>Also the proposed color layout does not make me 'happy'.
>>
>>I am not a native English speaker but I would prefer it like this :
>>
>>1. Not private
>>2. Private
>>3. Verified Private
>>
>>The rationale is that Unverified does not give a 'safe' feeling while it
>>is an established secure OTR connection.
>>
>>For the color layout I have 2 ideas :
>>
>>Or :
>>
>>1. Red
>>2. Light Green
>>3. Dark Green
>>
>>Or (I don't know it this is possible but has my preference)
>>
>>1. Red
>>2. Green
>>3. Green with an say Black symbol 'in' the green area like a check in a
>>  checkbox (like in http://registration-net.com/checkbox.gif)
>>
>>The rationale is that Yellow does not give a 'safe' feeling while it is
>>an established secure OTR connection.
>>
>>Aldert.
>>

> Yellow shouldn't give a safe feeling. Encryption without authentication
> is useless. While the conversation is protected from sniffing by third
> parties, you have no assurance that the individual you are speaking to
> is who he says he is. In this case, your only assurance that you are
> speaking to the correct individual is the username/password on the IM
> account.
>
> If you verify the fingerprint through an out of bounds method of
> authentication such as via telephone, security is increased because only
> the individual with that key will be able to have a private conversation
> with you. Now a person would need both the password to the IM account
> and the private key to initiate a conversation.

This does not conflict with what I try to say.

Yes, I understand we need to educate people to check things like
fingerprints and develop a new way of thinking re. security.

But what I try to say here is :
Yellow does not radiate the message we should.
Yellow is in most countries the color before red not before green.
  (traffic lights)

And remember we try to bring encryption to the masses here.

It is not just an accident why PGP/GPG did not get used till something
like the Enigmail plugin for Firefox came about and even with this
plugin it is still seen as way to complicated for many.

I think with 2 shades of green or green and a more positive green
and appropiate wording you get more user understanding. (mind share).

Aldert.