[OTR-users] Opinions on proposed "unknown fingerprint" behaviour?

Ian Goldberg ian at cypherpunks.ca
Wed Jun 1 14:41:12 EDT 2005

Based on some comments here, how about this as a second strawman
proposal:

Instead of two modes (Private / Not private), there are now three:

1. Not private (red)
2. Unverified (yellow)
3. Private (green)

[I'm not sure I like the actual choice of words here; suggestions are of
course welcome.]

The colours listed would be integrated into the conversation window OTR
button somewhere.

New fingerprints would cause gaim to automatically go from red to
yellow.  It will display a dialog saying that a new fingerprint was
presented for the given user.

When OTR communication is established, a message is written to the
conversation window, saying so (and indicating if the fingerprint is
verified or not), but not listing the fingerprint or the session id.

Right-clicking on the OTR button produces a context menu which allows
you to bring up a dialog containing the fingerprint and session id.
This dialog also has a mechanism for indicating that you have verified
the fingerprint (and, I suppose, a way to undo that indication).

Once you've verified a fingerprint, gaim will go green, and future
conversations with this fingerprint will automatically go green.

What do people think of that?  There's no more "require manual
verification" option, because the people who would check that would just
treat yellow as "not private", and others (probably most people) would
treat yellow as "private".  There's no more popup dialog for "private
communication estabished", because it's better to put it in the
conversation window anyway.

Questions, comments, radical doubts?