[OTR-users] otrproxy v0.1.1 OSX packaging issues

Ian Goldberg ian at cypherpunks.ca
Tue Feb 1 16:32:19 EST 2005

On Tue, Feb 01, 2005 at 12:19:57PM -0800, Michael Flanagan wrote:
> Although I'm sure the proxy works as advertised, I'm now trying to find
> info on the process for capturing the actual traffic sent back and
> forth between the clients. This is probably the wrong forum to be
> asking this, but if anyone could point me in the right direction I'd
> appreciate it. I'm currently browsing the dev archives trying to find
> how normal testing debugging is done.

There are a couple of ways to do this.  The way we generally use for
testing is to compile the proxy with -DDEBUG.  This causes it to output
lots more stuff, including the packets that are going out over the net.

Alternatively, if you're not up to recompiling otrproxy, you can use
a packet-capturing tool like tcpdump or ethereal.  ethereal in
particular "knows" about the AIM protocol and will be quite helpful in
decoding it for you.  [Disclaimer: I don't actually know that either of
those programs are available for OSX, but they probably are.]