[OTR-users] Discussion of the use of "his" as a gender-neutral pronoun in an unlikely place

David Thiel lx at redundancy.redundancy.org
Mon Dec 5 14:47:35 EST 2005

On Mon, Dec 05, 2005 at 01:55:44PM -0500, Ian Goldberg wrote:
> That's a security problem.  Suppose you were typing a long (private)
> message to your buddy, and she closes her end of the private connection
> just before you hit "Enter".  You absolutely do *not* want your message
> to go out in the clear.  So what we do instead is this: when your buddy
> closes her end of the connection, all outgoing messages to her are
> *blocked* until you select whether to restart the private conversation,
> or end it.

You're right, and this is indeed what happens - ignore my explanation in
the previous post, I was misled by the OTR icon displaying "Finished".
Here's how the logs go if you send a message after a session is
terminated by the remote user:

(11:43:16) somegirl has ended his private conversation with you; you should do the same.

(send a message)

(11:43:17) Your message was not sent.  Either end your private conversation, or restart it.

(oops, refresh)

(11:43:30) Attempting to refresh the private conversation with somegirl...
(11:43:31) Private conversation with somegirl started.