[OTR-users] Discussion of the use of "his" as a gender-neutral pronoun in an unlikely place

David Thiel lx at redundancy.redundancy.org
Mon Dec 5 14:41:33 EST 2005

On Sun, Dec 04, 2005 at 08:18:50PM -0500, Kat Hanna wrote:
> It's not okay, as pretty much everyone has suggested, to substitute a
> passive construction: the very point of the alert is that your buddy has
> closed her/his end of the connection, *but yours is still open*.

Actually, it seems that in OTR 3, if the remote party terminates the
OTR session, it automatically ends the session for the local user.
This being the case, I think a passive construction will do just fine.
There's no reason to instruct the user to terminate the conversation,
since it's already been done for them.

> [For the record, up until this point no member of the OTR dev team
> had been involved in this discussion.]

Thanks, that's good to know.

Cheers,
David