[OTR-users] OTR on USB flash drive

Shatadal shatadal at vfemail.net
Wed Aug 31 00:14:01 EDT 2005

CLAY SHENTRUP wrote:
> If you install it to the flash drive, it should work exactly as if you
> had installed it to a regular drive.  My only fear is that I seem to
> recollect that Gaim puts some settings files in a directory outside of
> where it was installed, in "Documents and Settings/user".  If Gaim runs
> from the flash drive, but expects to find needed files in this area on
> your "primary" drive (the one windoze is running from) then of course
> that could cause a problem.  I would just try it.  It seems like it
> would just take minutes.

It seems that in the end it was a pretty simple solution. On the gaim
sourceforge site there are instructions to run from
https://sourceforge.net/docman/display_doc.php?docid=28372&group_id=137399

While copying c:\program files\gaim to <flash drive>:\Gaim I also copied
gaim-otr.dll onto the USB drive. I also copied the profile directory at
C:\Documents and Settings\<User Name>\Application Data\.gaim to <flash
drive>:\Gaim which also copied the private keys stored in otr.private_key

On starting gaim, I noticed that the OTR plugin was functional in gaim
and it could recognise the private keys in otr.private_key

On starting an IM session I clicked on the OTR button on the IM window
and it attempted to start a private conversation like when it does when
I start gaim and otr from the hard drive.

However does anybody think that using the OTR plugin for gaim in such a
fashion could break the implementation in some way?

Thanks.