[OTR-users] A clueless question :) about ichat-av and otr-proxy

Paul Wouters paul at cypherpunks.ca
Sat Apr 9 17:38:14 EDT 2005

On Sat, 9 Apr 2005, tor wrote:

> Hi All,
>            Am I to understand that when  ichat a/v is proxied via http
> to 127.0.0.1:8080 and otrproxy is running on both ends
> that the AV content is proxied over the otrproxy(i.e. encrypted) and
> thus can be used without eavesdropping or does
> OTR only protect the textual IM only?
>
>     interested readers wish to know
>      a new and clueless ichat A/V and OTRproxy user under OSX

No, out of bound connections (send file, and I assume Audio and Video too)
are not encrypted. I don't think OTR could possible work for audio/video,
as the DH key exchange is not *that* cheap, you'd need quite some random
and cpu for that.
You should probably think about setting up an IPsec or other type of VPN
tunnel between you and the other party with the A/V.

Paul