[OTR-dev] OTR version 4 Draft #2

Carsten Mattner carstenmattner at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 21:57:46 EDT 2018

On 3/16/18, Ola Bini <ola at olabini.se> wrote:
> Hi Carsten,
>
> <snip>
>
>> I suppose (couldn't find it) that there is a libotr branch implementing
>> the draft, right? This is very important if we want to upgrade pidgin,
>> weechat, mcabber, jackline, adium, etc to OTRv4.
>
> You are completely right that having an implementation that offers a
> similar API to libotr is incredibly important for adoption.
>
> You can find it here https://github.com/otrv4/libotrv4
>
> It's currently not anywhere near complete - we are planning on pushing
> forward on that work now that I have a fairly stable version of the
> specification.

It says it depends on 'libotr 4.x'. I don't understand, isn't that
the project itself?

Thank you again for working on this and I wish it wouldn't add
so many non-trivial library dependencies. The nice thing about
libotr3 is that it is reliable because it's low on external
dependencies.

From

    libglib2.0-dev
    libdecaf
    libsodium-dev
    libotr 4.x
    libgcrypt 1.8.0 or newer

I feel like libsodium-dev should be the only one a v4 libotr
may depend on, if we consider the use DJB's crypto designs
in place of OTRv3's past (reasonable) choices. This isn't
meant to diminish the work on v4 and meant as critique
to consider as improvements.