[OTR-dev] Extension proposal

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at guardianproject.info
Wed Feb 10 08:25:59 EST 2016

Given that the NSA and others are now recommending that people don't
bother switching to EC crypto, perhaps it makes sense to just stick with
DSA and up the key size.  That would hopefully be a much easier upgrade.

http://arstechnica.com/security/2015/10/nsa-advisory-sparks-concern-of-secret-advance-ushering-in-cryptoapocalypse/

.hc

Ola Bini:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I have been working on a proposal for an extension to OTR that adds
> support for Ed25519 signing keys instead of DSA, and also changes the
> usage of SHA-1 and SHA-2 to SHA-3 in the full protocol.
>
> The proposal can be read here:
> https://github.com/twstrike/otr-extension-J/blob/master/protocol-otr-extension-j.md
>
> I would appreciate thoughts and comments.
>
> We have a more or less complete implementation of this for our OTR
> Golang implementation (barring some updates) - and it seems to work
> really well.
>
> Cheers

PGP fingerprint: EE66 20C7 136B 0D2C 456C  0A4D E9E2 8DEA 00AA 5556
https://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=vindex&search=0xE9E28DEA00AA5556