[OTR-dev] About an mpOTR implementation

mandragore mandragore at foss.ntua.gr
Wed Nov 4 07:07:38 EST 2015

Hello all,

We are two undergraduate students, Kostis Andrikopoulos and Dimitris
Kolotouros, at the National Technical University of Athens (NTUA) [0].
As part of our diploma theses we plan to implement the multi-party OTR
protocol [1]. Our direct supervisor is cryptography PhD student Dionysis
Zindros (University of Athens [2]), and we work in a group led by
professors of cryptography Aris Pagourtzis (NTUA) and Aggelos Kiayias
(University of Athens).

We understand OTR is a tool of freedom of speech. As the users who need
it most are investigative journalists and activists who need to
communicate securely leveraging all of end-to-end encryption,
authentication, deniability and forward secrecy, we believe the
multi-party version of OTR is a critical tool for those who usually work
in groups.

We would like to solicit your feedback on multi-party OTR. Is there
interest in it from the side of developers and users? Has there been any
implementation work outside the theoretical framework linked above? What
would be the right approach to start with this implementation?

Thank you in advance.

Kind regards,
Kostis Andrikopoulos
Dimitris Kolotouros