[OTR-dev] xmpp, otr vs centralized-storage messaging

Howard Chu hyc at symas.com
Mon Oct 20 01:07:15 EDT 2014

Greg Troxel wrote:
> Some of my friends have been moving away from XMPP/OTR to chat services
> that have centralized storage of plaintext (and proprietary software
> that only works on one platform, but that's not really relevant).  While
> it's easy to criticize centralized plaintext, the usability issues are
> more complex.
>
> With the centralized plaintext service, one can continue chats across
> multiple devices, and move from computer to phone to tablet; turning on
> a device results in it connecting the serveer and getting the history.
> This has terrible security properties, but it's very handy.

This is in part why I use finch and developed OTR for finch. I run a finch
client on my own server, which I access using ssh, and I have ssh clients with
my pub/priv keypair on my phone, laptops, etc. The finch client runs inside a
screen session, so I can attach to it from any of my devices and it persists
even though my devices disconnect.

I sometimes would wish for a client with graphical windows, of course. ~25
years ago I would have simply used MGR and rmgr to address that need. At the
moment I'm considering a new finch-like messenger client that issues generic
display-update commands to a local GUI client.

It all still depends on a central server, of course, but it's *my* central
server as opposed to FB's or some other data aggregator's.

--
   -- Howard Chu