[OTR-dev] /me bug

Kurt Roeckx kurt at roeckx.be
Sat Sep 14 18:45:47 EDT 2013

On Sat, Sep 14, 2013 at 04:06:23PM -0400, Paul Wouters wrote:

> I mostly want an accidental typing of /me or /whatever to not leak
> plaintext during an OTR conversation:
>
> <otr session active>
> Hi Mr.Snowden
> /me is scared about the NSA      <--- leaks plaintext
> about that secret file. The password is:
> /secretliesandstatistics            <----- leaks plaintext

I think we al agree that we don't want to leak something.  The
question is just how it should be implemented protocol wise.

That /me now leaks something clearly isn't what we want,
and I think that on IRC we want a normal PRIVMSG with the
whose, including the ACTION part encrypted.

I have no ideal what happens when you do /secretliesandstatistics,
since I've never used pidgin to do IRC.  With all clients I've
used if "secretliesandstatistics" isn't a known command the
client itself will give an error message and it's never send
to the server.  I have to use something like /quote to send
raw irc commands.  But I can imagine that some clients just
try to send that to the server and let the generate an error
message instead.

Kurt