[OTR-dev] /me bug

Ian Goldberg ian at cypherpunks.ca
Fri Sep 13 18:52:03 EDT 2013

On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 11:37:57PM +0200, Kurt Roeckx wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 07:24:58PM -0400, Paul Wouters wrote:
> > /commands on non-irc chats should not be processed by the irc module.
> > This way, we don't ever leak on non-irc channels.
> >
> > On irc channels, /nonexisting should get mapped to plain "nonexisting",
> > so it will get properly encrypted by otr.
> >
> > On irc channels, /existing commands should go out as-is. They should not
> > get encrypted or they won't work. The user is expected to realise that.
> > (hey - its an irc user, they know :)
> >
> > My use of /me really comes from the MUD adventure days. It would really
> > only suppress the " says:" prefix so you could 'emote', eg "/me smiles".
>
> I have no idea what you're really saying here.
>
> You want IRC to show a literal "/me" to the other person, and not
> use the CTCP ACTION?

What if, when the user types "/me action", the prpl-irc plugin passes
"/me action" to the pidgin-otr plugin, and sends the result as a
PRIVMSG.  Then the receiving prpl-irc plugin, when it decrypts and
*receives* "PRIVMSG ... /me action" from the sender, treats it as if it
had received "ACTION action"?

The trick would be that the sending (but not the receiving) prpl-irc
would need to know whether OTR was enabled, but it could easily check
that after the emit of sending-im-msg returns?

> If I type /nonexisting, you also want to send that over IRC,
> rather than just generate an error that that command doesn't
> exit?

I can't speak for Paul, but I wouldn't say so.