[OTR-dev] /me bug

Paul Wouters paul at cypherpunks.ca
Tue Sep 10 19:24:58 EDT 2013

On Wed, 11 Sep 2013, Peter Lawler wrote:

> <elb> I'm not sure it's a bug in /me, exactly, it just doesn't do what
> they want
> <elb> I agree it should be changed to do what they want, though
>
> There was also this comment:
>
> <EionRobb> would it be more preferable to not have /me as a command and
> instead detect the /me in the send_im() func?
> <EionRobb> so that /help doesn't show "... me, me, ..."

/commands on non-irc chats should not be processed by the irc module.
This way, we don't ever leak on non-irc channels.

On irc channels, /nonexisting should get mapped to plain "nonexisting",
so it will get properly encrypted by otr.

On irc channels, /existing commands should go out as-is. They should not
get encrypted or they won't work. The user is expected to realise that.
(hey - its an irc user, they know :)

My use of /me really comes from the MUD adventure days. It would really
only suppress the " says:" prefix so you could 'emote', eg "/me smiles".

Paul
(if someone could relay this back to the irc plugin maintainer, thanks)