[OTR-dev] /me bug

Kurt Roeckx kurt at roeckx.be
Tue Sep 10 16:57:05 EDT 2013

On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 04:35:47PM -0400, Ian Goldberg wrote:

> > - Pidgin-OTR uses different libpurple signals. For example by hooking "irc-
> > receiving-text" and "irc-sending-text" it would be possible to encrypt every
> > CTCP (including ACTION) and decrypt them while maintaining the handling for
> > them by libpurple. Downside of this is that Pidgin-OTR needs to be able to
> > parse and generate IRC PRIVMSGs.
> >
> > The last one would also make this patch unnecessary.
> >
> > I have not been able to reproduce the problem Jurre had with my patch. Using
> > Pidgin on Wheezy with my patch I've verified with Wireshark that everything
> > is encrypted when sending "/me".
> >
> > Regards,
> > Thijs
>
> (Warning: it's been probably more than a decade since I looked at the
> irc low-level protocol.)
>
> If the user types "/me nods", what do you *want* to get sent over the
> wire?
>
> \001ACTION ?OTR:AAMD...
>
> (which leaks that it *was* an action, and its approximate length)
>
> \001PRIVMSG ?OTR:AAMD...
>
> where the plaintext starts with "/me "?

I think already added information to the bug report.

A normal /me looks like:
PRIVMSG nick :\001ACTION nods\001\r\n

If think you always want to have the whole PRIVMSG (and NOTICE)
encrypted, regardless if it's a CTCP or not.  So that would be:
PRIVMSG nick :?OTR...\r\n

What I'm confused about is why this would require Pidgin-OTR to
parse anything.  But then I have no idea which signals pidgin has.
What you want is that you can replace the part between the : and
the \r\n.  Does an irc-receiving-text catch the whole message
including the PRIVMSG?  Is there a way to only do this for
the text part of the PRIVSG?

Kurt