[OTR-dev] Problem during the Authenticated Key Exchange (AKE)

Nathan of Guardian nathan at guardianproject.info
Sun Oct 27 09:21:15 EDT 2013

Ian Goldberg <ian at cypherpunks.ca> wrote:
>On Sat, Oct 26, 2013 at 05:26:07PM +0200, Thomas Balthazar wrote:
>> Hi Ian,
>>
>> The source code will be available under an open source license.
>> Am I correct thinking that it won't interfere with the LGPL?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Thomas.
>
>Right, but doesn't the App Store prevent users from modifying their
>software?  (See, e.g. http://michelf.ca/blog/2011/gpl-ios-app-store/ )
>
>   - Ian

There are open toolchains for iOS now and if you jailbreak your device, you don't have to pay Apple the $100 developer fee.

http://code.google.com/p/ios-toolchain-based-on-clang-for-linux/

That aspect of the argument then is moot, if we want to get into technicalities.

Ultimately Apple doesn't care about this. They only care if a copyright holder protests. Since the app store model is quickly moving to Mac and Windows desktops, we need to find a way we are all happy that we can help ensure users have easy access to truly libre tools, especially privacy enhancing ones.

Obviously my support for ChatSecure with OTR on iOS makes this an important issue for me.

+n