[OTR-dev] Allow OTR to use one of my OpenPGP sub/keys?

Ximin Luo infinity0 at gmx.com
Wed Nov 6 07:31:53 EST 2013

On 06/11/13 12:22, cypherpunks.boxy at xoxy.net wrote:

> Any thoughts on allowing OTR to grab a key from an OpenPGP cert?
>
> It might restrict the keys it grabs to those with a uid matching the
> account.
>
> That would allow us to manage our own keys, instead of generating scads
> of new ones; and it would allow OTR to be leveraged by the WoT.
>
> /DA
>
> (Not a dev here.  Forgive me if the question's been asked.)

See this discussion[1] and subsequent messages.

TL;DR version is yes you can do it, and some of us want to do it. The least
problematic workflow that is most compatible with existing workflows is:

- have a tool, e.g. some extension to monkeysphere, that creates an
Authentication-use subkey with the critical notation that says something like
"for OTR use only"
- have another (or the same) tool to convert this PGP subkey into an OTR
subkey, and installs it in the right place.

There also needs to be some research on which specific cipher algorithms we
can/can't use, because PGP/OTR uses different ones IIRC.

[1] http://lists.cypherpunks.ca/pipermail/otr-users/2013-June/002211.html

--
GPG: 4096R/1318EFAC5FBBDBCE
git://github.com/infinity0/pubkeys.git