[OTR-dev] Clever logging for weechat_otr plugin (+ log management discussion)

Daniel ".koolfy" Faucon koolfy at koolfy.be
Thu Mar 14 11:40:06 EDT 2013

On Thu, 14 Mar 2013 11:17:54 -0400 (EDT)
Paul Wouters <paul at cypherpunks.ca> wrote:

> Listen,
>
> There is nothing I can do to help you when your government can coerce
> you with torture or financial ruin. You will talk regardless what's
> encrypted on your hard disk. In fact, I'm sure they will be very
> helpful and _write_ the log entries they want admitted from you.

You are absolutely right to point this out.

> If you don't talk to people who might log conversations, good luck
> expanding that policy to have any communication. Like only mailing
> people using encrypted email. Currently, the tools are just not
> feasable for such policies. And if you insist, you'll end up
> isolated and unable to talk to most people. What more could a hostile
> government want from a dissident?

I was just mentioning this anecdote as a data point, to show that
keeping logs of everything (even encrypted) can be very harmful in real
life scenarios, even without actual torture being involved.

It doesn't mean I endorse everything in that quote, in particular the
"do not talk with people who log conversations", where I tend to agree
with you. (However, I tend to be cautious with what I say to people
known to have bag logging policies.)

I would really like to know what you think of the compromise I
suggested at the end of my last (chronological order) email.

--
Daniel ".koolfy" Faucon

Tel: France : (+33)(0)658/993.700
PGP Fingerprint : 485E 7C63 8D29 F737 FEA2  8CD3 EA05 30E6 15BE 9FA5