[OTR-dev] Clever logging for weechat_otr plugin (+ log management discussion)

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Wed Mar 13 17:45:28 EDT 2013

On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 2:40 PM, "Daniel ".koolfy" Faucon"
<koolfy at koolfy.be> wrote:
> What a clean log management across OTR implementation does, is minimize
> the frequency at which this assumption is true. Without altering the
> user's perception of the "logging state" of the other interlocutor.
>
> The last thing we want is out encryption protocol being deceptive about
> the state of the exchange. This is when everything starts to fall
> apart :(

All you'd achieve there is moving the misrepresentation there back a
step— about OTR in total instead of 'no logs mode'— and make it even
less true (because while I'd not modify a no-logs mode, I'd certainly
modify it as a blanket 'feature') and at the same time cause other
people to avoid using OTR. This is not a victory.