[OTR-dev] Thinking about mpOTR and secure multiparty chat protocols in general

George Kadianakis desnacked at riseup.net
Fri Mar 8 09:39:21 EST 2013

FWIW, I've partially answered some of my own questions. I'm replying
to myself with some extra information for completeness:

George Kadianakis <desnacked at riseup.net> writes:

> Greetings,
>
> this is a post about mpOTR and secure multiparty chat protocols in
> general. I'm very interested in the secure multiparty chat problem,
> and I _really_ want to see it moving forward.
>
> <snip>
>
> * What about the tree-based transcript soundness idea that was
>   discussed in FOCI '12? Is that also necessary in server-based chat
>   frameworks (like XMPP and IRC), or only in decentralized
>   environments? Is mPOTR centralized or decentralized after all?

On the topic of guaranteeing reliability and consistency in chat
transcripts, it seems that Matthew Van Gundy et al. have been
preparing a draft paper called "OldBlue: Causal Broadcast In A Mutally
Suspicious Environment":
http://matt.singlethink.net/projects/mpotr/oldblue-draft.pdf
which is a Causal Broadcast protocol that is supposed (I think) to fit
the needs of mpOTR.

> * Why do the primitives of mpOTR have to be pairwise between
>   participants? This makes the protocol ugly and hard to scale. Aren't
>   there ways to do group-key-exchanges in a
>   "each-party-broadcasts-something-and-the-whole-group-creates-a-group-key"
>   fashion. I think there are fields of cryptography (like "Conference
>   key distribution" and "Group key exchange") that deal with this kind
>   of thing. Why are we not using them?

Matthew Van Gundy has been preparing a paper in this area too. His
paper "Improved Deniable Signature Key Exchange for mpOTR" proposes to
replace the suggested pairwise DSKE of mpOTR with a broadcast variant
like "Deniable Group Key Agreement" scheme of Jens-Matthias Bohli et
al.

I think we shound also investigate whether we can replace other parts
of the suggested mpOTR protocol with broadcast variants.