[OTR-dev] OTR Encrypted File Transfer, Spec Draft

Peter Lawler otr.dev at bleeter.id.au
Wed Jun 5 00:21:20 EDT 2013

On 05/06/13 12:47, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that OTR in-band might continue to work if a XMPP
> service decided to block XEP-0047 transfers.

My 2c.

If the point of OTR is to 'just work' on any protocol, surely OTR-FT
should 'just work' on any protocol as well. Thus, if you're on Y! or MSN
and they decide to snoop FT connection points or even simply shut down
their FT service. I don't see limiting OTR-FT to XMPP as a 'good thing'.

Although in-band could, I guess, lead to a LOT of data being sent over
the chat channel. Which could, in theory, result in the IM service
'guessing' you're sending a file in-band. Maybe some steganographic
techniques could be employed on services that utilise 'custom smilies' -
but this does move away from protocol agnosticism.

Hmmmm....

Pete.