[OTR-dev] OTR Encrypted File Transfer, Spec Draft

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at guardianproject.info
Tue Jun 4 22:27:16 EDT 2013

Nadim Kobeissi

> Hi everyone,
> We've been working on the first implementation of OTR file transfer, using
> the extra symmetric keys afforded in the latest update to the OTR
> specification.
>
> We've come up with a spec draft, you should check it out!
> https://github.com/cryptocat/cryptocat/wiki/OTR-Encrypted-File-Transfer-Specification
>
> Thanks,
> NK

Glad to see progress on this.  We're currently debating whether to start with
this spec, or develop a file transfer method that is in the OTR band rather
than in the XMPP band like XEP-0047.  Being in the OTR band seems like it
would provide extra benefits of hiding more meta data, like the fact that a
file is being transferred, the rough size of the file, etc.

Having the file transfer happen in the OTR band could provide a fully hidden
file transfer method by combining things like randomized padding and packet
size quantization, as well as slaving transfer timing to actual messaging
patterns or other such ways of hiding the file transfer timing.

.hc