[OTR-dev] Multiple accounts

Callme Whatiwant nejucomo at gmail.com
Tue Jul 2 17:40:49 EDT 2013

On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 7:39 AM, Kurt Roeckx <kurt at roeckx.be> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 02, 2013 at 10:12:10AM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
> >
> > Not true - OTR's signing key to authenticate a session is similar to
> > OpenPGP.  The difference is that session keys are authenticated, not
> > messsage content, and repudiability (word?) is achieved by using
> > symmetric MACs and disclosiing them.
>
> I guess I need to go and look up how OTR really works.

I want to discuss this more explicitly, because it is a fundamental feature
of OTR and it also is in line with my usability intuitions.  Also, I may
not understand the subtleties correctly, so I want people to clarify any
mistakes.  If you are on this list, you should understand this fundamental
aspect of OTR and furthermore, you should consider how that interacts with
assumptions "the typical user" might make.

Caveat emptor: I'm new to the OTR protocol, so please verify every
statement I make and do not take my word for it.  Here goes:

OTR is designed so that if one of the two parties records all network
traffic, then shows that recording to a third party, they cannot prove the
other party participated or authored any of the messages.  The best they
can do is to show someone who knows a shared session secret authored the
messages.  However, that includes the accuser themselves!

Furthermore, after a conversation session ends, that secret can be made
public, so that after that point, it's conceivable that anyone with any
recording of the session could have modified their transcript at their whim.

Someone who knows Alice's public key can produce a transcript ex nihilo
that claims Alice participated in a conversation and said X, Y, and Z, all
without Alice's participation in any way.  Therefore, transcripts from OTR
sessions are not useful for proving what conversations someone has
participated in, nor what they have said.

Perhaps non-intuitively a participant of a conversation can prove *to
themselves* that Alice is indeed participating in a conversation and is
indeed saying X, Y, and Z.  This is the key value of OTR.

Could anyone verify all of those statements are correct?  I've only skimmed
the first part of [1] but I'm familiar with the goals and technique by
reading about mpOTR.

The philosophy of OTR's protocol design is that these properties *matches
user intuitions*.

So by the same philosophy, the UI should reinforce that as much as
possible.  If there are PKI features, we should ask "do those match user
intuitions?"  For example, if there's a revocation protocol, what will user
intuitions be about revocation?  Also, how do we design a UI (across many
different clients) that promotes "the right kind" of intuitions?

regards,
callme whatiwant

[1] http://www.cypherpunks.ca/otr/otr-wpes.pdf