[OTR-dev] What about an OTR org.?

Ian Goldberg ian at cypherpunks.ca
Sun Jan 13 18:28:06 EST 2013

On Sat, Jan 12, 2013 at 05:55:30PM -0500, Paul Wouters wrote:
> I still don't think OTR requires an organisation at this moment, and one
> way of securing the naming rights would be to write up the spec as RFC,
> something Peter and I keep reminding each other of, but we never manage
> to do before the next IETF.

As it happens, Jake was talking to IETF people recently; it seems
reformatting the existing spec into RFC format and calling it an
Informational RFC should work.  I spoke to him this past week, and Jake
has volunteered to give the first draft a go.

As far as a non-profit goes, I don't see the overhead as being worth it.
We already have a tax-deductible way to donate to OTR, both in Canada
and the US [http://otr.cypherpunks.ca/donate.php], which is better than
a non-profit we set up could do.  As was mentioned upthread, the key is
just to be able to effectively organize and utilize people who have the
desire and ability to contribute.