[OTR-dev] What about an OTR org.?

Peter Lawler otr.dev at bleeter.id.au
Sat Jan 12 04:37:27 EST 2013

On 11/01/13 12:50, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:

> Agreed. I can attest that you don't want to form an organization
> unless you really need it, because it requires attention all on its
> own. Better to provide good infrastructure for people who want to do
> the work (source control, bug tracking, etc.) and farm out any of the
> organized efforts to other groups (e.g., do the standardization at the
> IETF or XSF).

My 2c

I tried a few times writing this, but ended up:

IIRC, pidgin(1) [formerly gaim(1)] similarly "didn't need" a foundation
etc until AOL tried suing the pants off them
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pidgin_(software)#Naming_dispute
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pidgin_%28software%29#Naming_dispute>
Whilst I can't speak for those involved, I deeply suspect having a
foundation before the suit turned up would've saved a number of
contributors a lot of pain, heartache and stress (and subsequently may
not have delayed releases/patches as much as it may have done).

Pete.

P.S. AFAIK I can chat about the AOL thing, however I believe that others
involved may have been required to sign agreements banning them from
discussing it ever again...

P.P.S. Given the previous PS, this email will self destruct in 3... 2...
1...