[OTR-dev] Codec2 and OTR

Nathan of Guardian nathan at guardianproject.info
Fri Feb 15 19:26:24 EST 2013

Greg Troxel <gdt at ir.bbn.com> wrote:

How does the fact that a message might be
>bits (from a microphone, compressed through a codec) instead of a bunch
>of text really change the nature of what's going on?

OTRv3 supports generation of  shared symmetric key for the encryption of arbitrary data. This can be used to encrypt any bag o' bits you would like, and then transfer it to each other using an xmpp based file sharing method, or any other file sharing out of band.

We are investigating using this to achieve an encrypted Push-to-talk and file sharing solution for Gibberbot, a secure android chat client.

+n