[OTR-dev] Project to Conceal communication profiles from the service provider

Andrew Vineyard dimensional42 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 27 18:44:54 EST 2013

It is an interesting idea, but the idea of sending dummy messages to
random users would mean spamming unintended recipients with
unintelligible text. While it would help hide you messages better, it
would backlash with complains from the random recipients. To handle
that, the messages would have to be sent only to users who are using the
same software and OTR plugins, and are all using the same IM server, and
letting the server itself send the bulk of the dummy messages to
everyone. The software would have to know that it's getting dummy
messages so it could also ignore them completely.

Another thing to note is that sending dummy messages would increase the
amount of bandwidth you're using for the month, in some cases might be
drastic if not configured right. You wouldn't want to find yourself with
a massive service bill for using 500 GBs of bandwidth in just a week. I
know that's a major exaggeration, but it helps give the idea.