[OTR-dev] mpOTR project

Мария Коростелёва maria at korosteleva.com
Wed Dec 18 05:07:16 EST 2013

Hmm, guys, could please make it clear for me what do strong deniability and
weak deniability mean?
And what's the difference between repudiation/non-repudiation and
deniability? I may lack some knowlege of English here.

And how this all matches up with the basic idea to mimic real-world private
conversations?
As far as I can see all the things we are trying to do with chat transcript
are aimed to mimic the situation that no such transcript have ever existed.

>However, in a more complex scenario that is IMO closer to the real world,
even
>though J understands B/M may not be honest, they might assume partial
honesty -
>i.e. that it is costly to forge evidence, and that the sheer amount of
evidence
>can count for "proof" even though it technically could be forged. Here, we
want
>strong-deniability.
>
>This is why Big Brother can't just claim that all of Larry Leaker's
documents
>are made up - the amount of information revealed makes this claim
unplausible.
>It's also why anonymity is hard, because all you need there is balance of
>probabilities.
>
>Even in real-world meetings, someone can record your voice. They could
forge
>the recording, but a high-enough quality recording would be analogous to a
>cryptographic signature - the amount of effort to produce it would be
thought
>of as "infeasible", and the balance of probabilities swings in the favour
of
>the attacker.

Of course if someone makes a record of conversation *real-world situation*
and then gives it to the judge
it'll be a strong proof of a claim that some person participated in chat or
said something that is recorded and smth like that.
But do we count such situations?  Don't we assume that we mimic only
off-the-record conversations?
Because in real world this situation would mean that you were a fool to
trust such a person and to invite him to your private meeting.
Can we take this formula for mpOTR too?

May be I didn't get something, sorry then