[OTR-dev] OTRv3 instance tag and session switching

Marin Dzhigarov moder at abv.bg
Fri Dec 6 10:35:31 EST 2013

 >Pidgin keeps separate state when it sees different *sender* instance
>tags.
I thought so... But this is not specified in the protocol and as an OTR entusiast I'm curious how it is done.

Please follow this scenario:

______________________
Suppose Alice and Bob1 are under MSGSTATE_ENCRYPTED; They both have set ERROR_START_AKE and SEND_WHITESPACE_TAG
Alice has tag 0x00000101    and    Bob1 has tag 0x00000102;
Alice sends her Data Messages with [*sender* 0x00000101][*receiver* 0x00000102]
while Bob sends his with [*sender* 0x00000102][*receiver* 0x00000101]
______________________
But then Bob2 logs in from a different instance and has instance tag 0x00000103;
Bob2 is under MSGSTATE_PLAINTEXT
______________________
Alice sends an encrypted messages with [*sender* 0x00000101][*receiver* 0x00000102].
Both Bob1 and Bob2 receive it. Bob1 decrypts it and sees the message.
Bob2 is under MSGSTATE_PLAINTEXT so according to the OTR protocol he replies with an Error Message.
______________________
Alice receives Bob2's Error Message (it does not contain instance tags as it is not Encoded Message).
Alice sends V3 Query Message (because she has ERROR_STARTS_AKE)
______________________
Bob2 and Bob1 receive Alice's Query Message.
So now Bob1 and Bob2 are supposed to send D-H Commit Message to Alice

Bob1 already knows Alice's tag so it is possible for him to send D-H Commit Message with [*sender* 0x00000102][*receiver* 0x00000101]. So he does that.
However... Bob2 doesn't know Alice's tag so he can only send [*sender* 0x00000103][*receiver* 0x00000000]. So he does that.

Here comes the part that I do not quite understand...

Alice is receiving Bob1 and Bob2's D-H Commit Messages.
Does Alice still keep Bob1's instance tag? If yes - then she can respond to Bob1's D-H Commit Message with D-H Key Message with [*sender* 0x00000101][*receiver* 0x00000102]
What about Bob2's D-H Commit? If Alice still keeps Bob1's tag she can compare it to Bob2's tag that is in Bob2's D-H Commit Message and realise that Bob2 is actually Bob1 logged from a different instance.
So Alice realises that Bob2 is a different *sender* and (if I understood correctly from your previous post) decides to create another session - with separate Message states, Authentication states and Policies especially for Bob2. Also, in this new session Alice will have her old tag 0x00000101 but she will send messages to 0x00000103.

Does this make any sense?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Regards,
Marin