[OTR-dev] 4.0.0-rc3 ready to roll. Please try it out!

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Mon Sep 3 18:40:08 EDT 2012

Ian Goldberg <ian at cypherpunks.ca> writes:

> OK, then I guess the thing to do is just to turn off hardening for that
> build environment?  [I believe the hardening is only actually enabled
> when -O2 is on, regardless of whether the compiler options are specified
> or not, so turning it to -O1 or -O0 will also turn off hardening, so you
> may as well just turn off the hardening and leave it at -O2.]

I was going to leave on SSP and use -O1, but if SSP really needs -O2, I
might as well use -O2 and no SSP.   I plan to just do that for all of
pkgsrc to start; it doesn't seem that harmful (or -O1 didn't).

There's still a tiny chance there's something sick going on where the
code is buggy and with SSP things can be proved to always overwrite so
it just returns, and thus the compiler is right.  But I'll give that
only 2 in 10^4, esp. since I'd expect an abort if SSP triggers.