[OTR-dev] 4.0.0-rc3 ready to roll. Please try it out!

Ian Goldberg ian at cypherpunks.ca
Wed Oct 3 20:39:44 EDT 2012

On Mon, Oct 01, 2012 at 05:35:06PM +0000, Jacob Appelbaum wrote:
> Thibaut VARENE:

> >> debian already ships libotr-4? Did they add a libotr3 package? Did
> >
> > libotr5, per soname.
> >
> >> other OTR software get ported to 4.x already? Or will it just break?
> >
> > libotr5 has been in experimental for a month now. If packages haven't
> > been updated, they'll break, since libotr5 conflicts with libotr2.
> > They'll need a rebuild against the new library package anyway.

Wait: libotr2 should *not* conflict with libotr5.  The *-dev* packages
should conflict, since they provide conflicting header files, and the
*-bin* packages similarly.  But the runtime libotr2 and libotr5 packages
should be able to coexist, no?  This would certainly prevent breakage of
existing packages.