[OTR-dev] Is "Version rollback" attack fixed in 4.0?

Ague Mill ague at mailoo.org
Mon May 7 12:44:26 EDT 2012

Hi!

I am glad to see OTR development (visibly) moving foward again! :)

From a quick look at commit logs in libotr repository, I have not
been able to figure out if the future version 4.0 is still vulnerable to
the "Version rollback" attack that was described in the paper
"Finite-State Security Analysis of OTR Version 2" [1] by Joseph Bonneau
and Andrew Morrison.

[1] http://www.jbonneau.com/OTR_analysis.pdf

Has this been fixed already? And if it has not, would it be hard to
prevent two clients to switch back to an earlier version of the
protocol?

Thanks,
--
Ague