[OTR-dev] Handling of CTCPs and /me in IRC clients

Paul Wouters paul at cypherpunks.ca
Mon Dec 17 21:43:32 EST 2012

On Mon, 17 Dec 2012, Greg Troxel wrote:

>  CTCP TYPING is (to my knowledge) only used in bitlbee, which is (as
>  said) an IRC to IM gateway. So when Alice (using bitlbee) sends a CTCP TYPING
>
> Thanks.  I didn't understand that, and guessed that IRC had a native
> i-am-typing mechanism like jabber.  I withdraw my semi-objection.

It _is_ a bug and I've reported it before.

I have it too with pidgin, even when I use jabber to someone, where the
/me has no meaning, the irc plugin seems to "grab" this and it gets
bypassed as well. I understand this was related to pidgin not being able
to select/prioritise plugins. But also, if I _do_ want to send a
/command to irc, then pidgin-otr should _not_ try to encrypt it (and
prob not att the spaces/tab morse code)

It's a problem, but I'm not sure if we know how to properly address this
yet.

Paul