[OTR-dev] Handling of CTCPs and /me in IRC clients

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Mon Dec 17 12:01:02 EST 2012

Not entirely related to your query, but I have long found it broken that
presence is exposed to servers in the clear.  Of course, to fix this one
would probably have to have dummy presence sent at a constant rate.

   - When sending a CTCP TYPING, pass it unencrypted since it's probably
     directed to bitlbee and won't arrive at the other end. (At least
     this applies to irssi and weechat, since they both have scripts to
     do the CTCP TYPING messages, I doubt anyone would want to send them
     by hand)

I don't understand.  How is an i-am-typing notification really different
From a message in terms of security desires?  Or is that thought to
contain no real information not gleanable from the ciphertext?