[OTR-dev] [RELEASE] irssi-otr 1.0.0-alpha1

David Goulet dgoulet at ev0ke.net
Mon Dec 3 15:04:46 EST 2012

Paul Wouters:

>>> How does this relate to http://irssi-otr.tuxfamily.org/
>>
>> It's a forked and now a huge refactoring.
>>
>> We had a *lot* of trouble getting in touched with Uli. He
>> reappeared three or four months ago saying he still wants to
>> maintain the project but "disappeared" again and we did not heard
>> from him either on IRC or by mail.
>>
>> It's nothing against his project but the forked here came after
>> having trouble with the code, build system and maintainer ship so
>> we decided to fork it, enhanced it and move it on the
>> cryptodot.is github to build an open source community around it
>> stimulated by cryptodotis. :)
>
> It does. My confusion was that the tuxfamily one claims it is not
> only for irssi but also xchat, bitlbee, etc. So if that is still
> the case, then irssi-otr is not the best name for the software. On
> top of that, the fedora "irssi-otr" package comes from the source
> package "irc-otr", so that confused me further. But now I see that
> it links to:
>
> ftp://download.tuxfamily.org/irssiotr/irc-otr-%{version}.tar.gz
>
> Perhaps coming up with a totally new name would be better for
> everyone?

Well, the version on tuxfamily is not maintained at the moment... or
sporadically if at all.

So, what we released here is OTR for irssi and that is all so
"irssi-otr" seems to me a good name (being a module not a perl script).

The package on tuxfamily should indeed be something else. Personally,
I *prefer* separating components rather then trying to fit a square
and a circle in a triangle.

Xchat and wee-chat should be separated package in my opinion. Anyway,
for now, the release is exclusively Irssi and Otr 4.0.x thus the naming.

Thanks!
David