[OTR-dev] 4.0.0-rc3 ready to roll. Please try it out!

Ian Goldberg ian at cypherpunks.ca
Fri Aug 31 08:14:16 EDT 2012

On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 12:43:58PM +0200, Thibaut VARENE wrote:
> >> Yes, I will send patches to the maintainers of these to change their
> >> Require: libotr to Require: libotr < 4. The libotr3 package will supply
> >> libotr < 4, while the libotr package will supply libotr >= 4.
> >
> > Since they're using the libotr 3 API, shouldn't they require libotr ==
> > 3?  And the new libotr package will supply libotr == 4, and the new
> > pidgin-otr package will require libotr == 4?  (As opposed to >= 4?)
>
> I think all that is relatively pointless. Ian: libotr2 will no longer
> be actively maintained/developed when libotr5 is released, right?

If there's a security release needed, I'll consider pushing out a 3.x
security update for at least a little while, but I haven't set a firm
timeline policy or anything like that.

> If so, I plan to move on with the current state of things in Debian:
> libotr 4.0.0 (source package providing libotr5, -dev and -bin) will
> *replace* libotr 3.2.1 (source package providing libotr2, -dev and
> -bin) at which point packages that still require libotr2 will simply
> break, and their respective maintainers will have to take action.

Isn't that impolite to those maintainers?  Or will you give them a
heads-up in advance?

> I don't think libotr has that many dependencies nor is that a critical
> package that it warrants the maintaining of 2 different versions over
> the lifetime of major linux and BSD distributions just for the sake of
> easing dependencies' transitions. At least for Debian, that's how
> things will be done.

Sounds reasonable.

I plan to build the test releases of 4.0.0 today, including the patch to
fix the exit() issue, and an extremely minor "remove whitespace at the
ends of a handful of lines" source cleanup patch.

Thanks,