[OTR-dev] 4.0.0-rc3 ready to roll. Please try it out!

Paul Wouters paul at cypherpunks.ca
Thu Aug 30 18:33:48 EDT 2012

On Thu, 30 Aug 2012, Ian Goldberg wrote:

>> So 7 clients use it, so I am not going to assume all of these can fix
>> their code within a few days.
>
> Indeed not.  They can continue to depend on the old version of libotr.
> (Your libotr3 package, if I understand it?  But does that mean you have
> to change all of the above packages to explicitly name libotr3?  If I
> understand the Debian/Ubuntu method correctly, the package name has been
> libotr2 all along, and all those other programs name libotr2 as their
> dependency.  The new package will be libotr5, and programs that update
> their use of libotr can then switch their dependency to libotr5.)

Yes, I will send patches to the maintainers of these to change their
Require: libotr to Require: libotr < 4. The libotr3 package will supply
libotr < 4, while the libotr package will supply libotr >= 4.

As I am the pidgin-otr maintainer, I am going to ensure it is released
as an update at the same time as libotr gets bumped to 4.

Paul