[OTR-dev] 4.0.0-rc3 ready to roll. Please try it out!

Paul Wouters paul at cypherpunks.ca
Thu Aug 30 17:02:57 EDT 2012

On Thu, 30 Aug 2012, Ian Goldberg wrote:

> Depending on how it's packaged, the runtime packages may be disjoint
> (the shared lib has a different name in each version), but the -dev
> package (with the header files) has the same filenames, so you'd be
> limited to installing one -dev package at a time.
>
>> But it may be that only pidgin-otr in pkgsrc uses libotr; if so it's
>> easier to just upgrade both at once and leave the old libotr behind.
>
> That would indeed be the easiest thing, if true.

In Fedora/EPEL libort is used by:

[paul at thinkpad ~]$ repoquery -qa --whatrequires libotr
bitlbee-otr-0:3.0.4-3.fc17.x86_64
bitlbee-otr-0:3.0.5-1.fc17.x86_64
climm-0:0.7.1-4.fc17.x86_64
irssi-otr-0:0.3-5.fc17.x86_64
kdenetwork-kopete-7:4.8.3-1.fc17.x86_64
kdenetwork-kopete-7:4.8.5-1.fc17.x86_64
kdenetwork-kopete-libs-7:4.8.3-1.fc17.i686
kdenetwork-kopete-libs-7:4.8.3-1.fc17.x86_64
kdenetwork-kopete-libs-7:4.8.5-1.fc17.i686
kdenetwork-kopete-libs-7:4.8.5-1.fc17.x86_64
libotr-devel-0:3.2.1-1.fc17.i686
libotr-devel-0:3.2.1-1.fc17.x86_64
mcabber-0:0.10.1-3.fc17.x86_64
pidgin-otr-0:3.2.1-1.fc17.x86_64
xchat-otr-0:0.3-5.fc17.x86_64

So 7 clients use it, so I am not going to assume all of these can fix
their code within a few days.

>> Do the old libotr and the new interoperate?  Specifically, if one person
>> is running the current pidgin-otr/libotr, and another both new ones, can
>> they still talk?
>
> Yes.  The new one will just fall back to the old protocol when speaking
> to old clients.

Just to clarify (and confirm I'm right), the above listed software
cannot just use libotr-4. They need to be fixed for libotr-4. However,
code fixed to use libotr-4, can talk to clients based on libotr-3 and
libotr-4.

Paul