[OTR-dev] 4.0.0-rc3 ready to roll. Please try it out!

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Thu Aug 30 13:55:16 EDT 2012

Ian Goldberg <ian at cypherpunks.ca> writes:

> On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 08:22:17PM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
>> ok, but do the current releases of all those build against libotr-4?  If
>> so, there is no issue in pkgsrc (even if they were all packaged, which
>> they're not).  If not, then there are bigger problems.
>
> No, this is a major version number increment, which means that the API
> and ABI have changed from the application's point of view.  That's why

That doesn't all logically follow (beyond ABI).  It seems you mean
"major version number increment, without backwards-compatible API
support" (which can be coped with), but that was not at all clear
earlier.

> debian/ubuntu/etc. add the so major number to the package name:
> xchat-otr and friends can still depend on libotr2 for a while, until
> they update their code, while the new pidgin-otr can depend on libotr5.
> Surely pkgsrc supports some equivalent notion?

Yes -  when upstream packages don't provide API back-compatibility, then
there are packages with the version number in the name (not a shlib
number).  Or one without, that's "normal", and one or more with.  For
unstable upstreams, there is typically always a version.

So then:

  are the set of files installed by these two versions distinct, so that
  they can not conflict, or is a system limited to at most one?

But it may be that only pidgin-otr in pkgsrc uses libotr; if so it's
easier to just upgrade both at once and leave the old libotr behind.

Do the old libotr and the new interoperate?  Specifically, if one person
is running the current pidgin-otr/libotr, and another both new ones, can
they still talk?

(Sorry if I sound cranky; I'm not really trying to complain about how
things are, just to point out that the questions I'm asking are the key
questions one needs to have answered to decide what to do, and that they
are missing from the pre-release announcement.)